Sources historiques >
Base de données bio-bibliographiques historiques sur les artistes canadiennes >
Base de données d'artistes
- Alexandria, Egypt, 1920
- Montreal, Quebec, 2005
- Notice biographique
- Although Gubbay was accepted to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 1935, her parents thought photography would be a better career and arranged for her to study under photographer Germaine Kanova. She had a successful career as a portrait photographer in England; however, in 1948 she abandoned her work when she and her husband moved to Montreal. After raising her family, Gubbay returned to school obtaining a degree in Social Work at McGill University and receiving a Masters Degree in Art History from Concordia University in 1978. Gubbay wrote numerous newspaper articles and books about Montreal which she illustrated with her own photographs. She was particularly interested in the history of Westmount and wrote a column for the Westmount Examiner entitled "Know Your Westmount." Her work was exhibited at the gallery in Westmount's Victoria Hall in 2002 and at the Westmount Public Library in 2005. The Canadian Centre for Architecture owns a collection of her photographs.
- Artists' illustrated books
- Private study (Sous la direction de Germaine Kanova)
- Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, England, 1935? - ?
- McGill University
- Concordia University, Montreal, ? - 1978
- Westmount Historical Society, 1994; President, 1996-2000
- Lieux de conservation des dossiers et archives
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- Canadian Centre for Architecture, QC - Library
- Jewish Public Library Archives, QC
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada, ON
Documents sur l'artiste
- Hustak, Alan. "Westmount Historian 'Loved this City.'" National Post 25 Oct. 2005: 7.
- Vanderstay, Marilynn. "Historian Gubbay Honoured with Library Exhibition." Westmount Examiner 20 Oct. 2005: 16.
- Vanderstay, Marilynn. "Historian, Author Aline Gubbay Dies at 85." Westmount Examiner 27 Oct. 2005: 1.
Documents rédigés par l'artiste
- Gubbay, Aline. A Street Called the Main / Une rue qui s'appelle la Main Montreal: Optimum Publishing International, 1989.
- Gubbay, Aline. A View of their Own: The Story of Westmount Montreal: Price-Patterson, 1998.
- Gubbay, Aline. Canadian Architecture in the 19th Century: A Selective Bibliography. Montreal: Concordia University, 1976.
- Gubbay, Aline. Three Montreal Monuments: An Expression of Nationalism Montreal: Concordia University, 1978.
- Gubbay, Aline. "A Pocket of Sanity on Lambert Closse St.: Resourceful Project on Old Nightclub Site Moves Forward while Cherishing Past." Gazette (Montreal) 1 Sept. 1990: 5.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Abbé Belmont Designed Reflecting Pool int Elegant Fort." Westmount Examiner 3 Apr. 1997.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Ads told of Villa Lots for Sale on Liberal Terms." Westmount Examiner 16 May 1996.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Battery Park City Blends in Beautifully with Environment." Gazette (Montreal) 5 Aug. 1989: 14.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Getting Right Location Enhances Art and Environment." Gazette (Montreal) 20 Aug. 1988: 16.
- Gubbay, Aline. "J.J. Astor's Westmount Connection." Westmount Examiner 26 Feb. 2004.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Link Re-established Between Monuments in Two Cities." Gazette (Montreal) 13 Jan. 1990: 14.
- Gubbay, Aline. "London Docks Come Back to Life Despite Shipping's Decline." Gazette (Montreal) 12 Aug. 1998: 14.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Looking at our Native Past." Westmount Examiner 12 Feb. 2004.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Majestic Monklands was a Country Home." Westmount Examiner 5 Jun. 1997.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Murray Park was Shaped from a Seafaring Past." Westmount Examiner 4 Jul. 1996.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Shopping was a Popular Pastime in the 1800s." Westmount Examiner 15 Jan. 1988.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Tale of Two Cities: Florence Guards its Heritage Better." Gazette (Montreal) 25 Jun. 1988: 16.
- Gubbay, Aline. "The Governor General's Summer Home." Westmount Examiner 3 Jul. 1997.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Westmount's Merchants Made their Mark Early." Westmount Examiner 8 Jan. 1998.
- Gubbay, Aline. "Zoning was Always an Issue for Victoria Village." Westmount Examiner 21 Sept. 1995.
- Gubbay, Aline and Sally Hooff; translation by Rachel Levy. Montreal's Little Mountain: A Portrait of Westmount / La petite montagne: Un portrait de Westmount Westmount, Quebec: Trillium Books, 1979.
- Gubbay, Aline; translation by Rachel Levy. Montréal: Le fleuve et la montagne / Montreal: The Mountain and the River. Montreal: Trillium Books, 1981.