Artist Database >
Bio-bibliographic Database >
PORTEOUS, Frances Esther Dudley
PORTEOUS, Frances Esther Dudley
- Ste-Petronille, QC, 1896
- Montreal, QC, 1946
- Biography synopsis
- Frances Esther Dudley Porteous was born in Ste. Petronille, today Beaulieu, Quebec in 1896. She studied art at the Art Association of Montreal, at the London County Council School of Design in London, and later in Paris. She favoured landscapes, still lifes, town and city scenes. Her work has been described in an article in The Montreal Gazette as "free in handling" and "confident". Porteous taught art at King's Hill in Compton, Quebec and later exhibited with the Canadian Group of Painters in 1939, and with the Royal Canadian Academy in 1929 and in 1940. She studied further with Arthur Lismer at the Art Association of Montreal and was a member of the Federation of Canadian Artists.
- Media used
- Art Association of Montreal (under William Brymner, Randolf Hewton, Athur Lismer)
- London County Council School of Design (London, England)
- Federation of Canadian Artists
- File & Archive locations
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts / Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal, QC
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- McGill University, QC - Marjorie Howard Futcher Photo Collection
- Art Association of Montreal. Catalogue of the Fifty-Third Spring Exhibition, March 19th to April 12th, 1936. Montreal: The Bentley Printing House, 1936.
- Bertrand, Magdeleine. Les Femmes artistes du Québec de 1875 à 1925. Montreal: Université de Montréal, 1990.
- Canadian Group of Painters. Canadian Group of Painters, Exhibition 1942. Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 1942.
- MacDonald, Colin S.. The Dictionary of Canadian Artists. (Volumes 1-8 by Colin S. MacDonald, and volume 9 by Anne Newlands and Judith Parker) Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 2009
- McMann, Evelyn de Rostaing. Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Formerly Art Association of Montreal: Spring Exhibitions, 1880-1970. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1988.
- McMann, Evelyn de Rostaing. Royal Canadian Academy of Arts/Académie royale des arts du Canada: Exhibitions and Members 1880-1979. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1981.
- Westbridge, Anthony R. The Collector's Dictionary of Canadian Artists at Auction. Vancouver: Westbridge Publications, 2001.
Full text pdfs of exhibition reviews
- Art Association of Montreal Annual Spring Exhibition: (Montreal, March 24, 1916) "Younger Artists Well Represented. Some Leading Exhibitors Are Absent from Thirty-Third Spring Exhibition." Gazette (Montreal) March 24, 1916. p.6. Full-text pdf
- Royal Canadian Academy Annual Exhibition: (Montreal, November 21, 1929) "R.C.A. Show Opened with Private View. Fifty-first Annual Exhibition Housed in Art Association Galleries." Gazette (Montreal) November 22, 1929. p.18. Full-text pdf
- Art Association of Montreal Annual Spring Exhibition: (Montreal, March 19, 1936) "Annual Spring Exhibition at Art Association." Montreal Star March 20, 1936. p.8. Full-text pdf
- Art Association of Montreal Annual Spring Exhibition: (Montreal, March 19, 1936) "Spring Exhibition on Generous Scale. Show at Art Gallery Opened Last Night Contains 621 Items." Gazette (Montreal) March 20, 1936. p.2. Full-text pdf