Accueil > Sources historiques > Base de données bio-bibliographiques historiques sur les artistes canadiennes > HICKLIN, Barbara Roe
Base de données d'artistes
HICKLIN, Barbara Roe
- Toronto, 1918
- ?, 2010
- Notice biographique
- Barbara Roe Hicklin (née Barbara Jane Roe) was born in Toronto, Ontario in 1918. During the late 1930s Hicklin attended the Central Technical School and the Ontario College of Art in Toronto. She later moved to New York and worked as a commercial artist, illustrating books, magazines and newspapers while attending the Phoenix School of Design, where she graduated in 1946. After her marriage, Hicklin worked as a set designer for theaters in Sarnia between 1951 and 1956. During the mid-70s Hicklin toured the country in a van painting landscapes of the Canadian countryside. She lived in the Yukon from 1980 to 1984 before moving to Alberta. Hicklin most commonly worked with watercolours, but she also worked in acrylic and pen and ink. She was an important member of the Alberta Society of Artists, becoming the first woman president of the society in 1975. Hicklin's work has been shown in numerous group shows with the Alberta Society of Artists and the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolours. Her solo exhibitions have been held in Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario. Examples of her work can be found in the collections of, among others, the Alberta Art Foundation and the Visual Arts Branch of the Government of Alberta.
- Graphic design
- Pen and Ink
- Central Technical School, Toronto, ? - 1937 (Sous la direction de Peter Haworth and Carl Schaefer)
- Ontario College of Art & Design (formerly Ontario School of Art)
- New York Phoenix School of Design, ? - 1946
- Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour, 1980
- Alberta Society of Artists, 1958, President 1975 - 1977
- Edmonton Art Club, 1956
- Lieux de conservation des dossiers et archives
- Vancouver Public Library, BC - Fine Arts and History Department
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- University of Calgary Library, AB
- Alberta Culture and Community Spirit - Arts Branch
- Edmonton Art Gallery, AB - Library
- University of British Columbia - Fine Arts Library
- Winnipeg Art Gallery, MA - Clara Lander Library
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- Toronto Reference Library, ON
- Art Gallery of Ontario - Edward P. Taylor Research Library and Archives
- Vancouver Art Gallery, BC - Library
- Calgary Public Library, AB - Arts Department
Documents sur l'artiste
- Baker, Suzanne Devonshire. Artists of Alberta. Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, 1980.
- Deyell, Daniel, Brent R Laycock and Charles S Tomsik. Alberta Society of Artists: A Juried Exhibition. Calgary: Glenbow-Alberta Institute, 1977.
- Greenberg, Clement. "Clement Greenberg's View of Art on the Prairies." Canadian Art 20.2 (1984): 96.
- Joyner, Brooks. "Barbara Roe Hicklin." Arts West 5.2 (Mar-April 1980): 26-27.
- MacDonald, Colin S.. The Dictionary of Canadian Artists. (Volumes 1-8 by Colin S. MacDonald, and volume 9 by Anne Newlands and Judith Parker) Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 2009
- Nickle Arts Museum. Barbara Roe Hicklin: Composition Canada. Calgary: Nickle Arts Museum, 1979.
- Westbridge, Anthony R. The Collector's Dictionary of Canadian Artists at Auction. Vancouver: Westbridge Publications, 2001.
- Zimon, Kathy E. Alberta Society of Artists: The First Seventy Years. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2000.