Artist Database >
Bio-bibliographic Database >
- Hardieville, Alberta, 1914
- Fort Macleod, Alberta, 1996
- Biography synopsis
- A painter of imagined pasts and invented histories, Irene McCaugherty's works reflect an interest in narrative and story-telling. She first turned to art as a therapeutic practice when recovering from an illness, and only began painting later in life. Having lived most of her life in Lethbridge, Alberta, she became enthralled by its history and that of Alberta as a whole, often writing articles on past events for the "Lethbridge Herald." This preoccupation is evident in her watercolour paintings. Her work, "Lethbridge Rodeo" (1962) can be found in the collection of the Glenbow Museum, Calgary.
- Media used
- File & Archive locations
- Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal, QC - Media Centre
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- University of Calgary Library, AB
- Vancouver Art Gallery, BC - Library
- Winnipeg Art Gallery, MA - Clara Lander Library
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts / Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal, QC
- Glenbow Archives, AB - Photographs Catalogue
- Artexte Information Centre, QC - Documentation Centre
- Calgary Public Library, AB - Arts Department
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- Canadian Museum of Civilization Archives, QC
- Glenbow Archives, AB - Main Catalogue
- Brennan, Brian. "Folk Art Was My First Love." Calgary Herald (16 Jan. 1997): B12.
- Harrison, Jane. "The Uncommon Art of Common Folk: Folk Art Has Good Looks and a Quirky Personality." Calgary Herald 24 Mar. 2007: G3.
- Houghtaling, Kim. Folk Art of Alberta. Grand Prairie: Prairie Art Gallery, 1993.
- Laviolette, Mary-Beth. "A Woman's Work is Never Done: Folk Art Celebrates Capable Women of Western Canada." Calgary Herald 6 Apr. 2002: ES.08.
- Nielsen, Leslie, et al. Investing in Art: Series 1 and Series 2 [videorecording]. Edmonton: Alberta Foundation for the Arts, 1990.
- Rasporich, Beverly Jean, et al. Western Place, Women's Space: Susan Ross, Esther Warkov, Irene McCaugherty. Calgary: University of Calgary, 2001.
- Stebbins, Joan and Janet Walters. Irene McCaugherty: Watercolours, Southern Alberta Art Gallery. Lethbridge: Southern Alberta Art Gallery, 1982.
- Wickens, Barbara. "Honourable Mentions." Maclean's 108.23 (6 May 1995): 11.
- McCaugherty, Irene. Cindy's Story. Fort MacLeod: Irene McCaugherty, 1995.
- McCaugherty, Irene. Enjoy My World. Fort MacLeod: Irene McCaugherty, 1975.
- McCaugherty, Irene. I Just Couldn't Say Goodbye and, Shadows of the Past. Fort MacLeod: Irene McCaugherty, 1995.
- McCaugherty, Irene. Painting Clouds of Doubt With Sunshine. Fort MacLeod: Irene McCaugherty, 1996.
- McCaugherty, Irene. Yesterday's Memories. Fort MacLeod: Irene McCaugherty, 1988.