Artist Database >
Bio-bibliographic Database >
ANGLISS, Katherine Margaret (Kay)
ANGLISS, Katherine Margaret (Kay)
- Port Coquitlam, B.C., 1923
- , 2004
- Biography synopsis
- Born and raised in British Columbia, Kay Angliss began her art education at the Vancouver School of Art, graduating in 1946. She continued art studies at Emma Lake Art School in Saskatchewan, the University of Calgary (printmaking workshops), and eventually the Alberta College of Art. Because of financial constraints during the 50s, she used scavenged materials including house paints and off cuts from printing houses. In Alberta, Angliss was able to study with such artists as Deli Sacilotto, Shane Weare, Andre Stasik, and Carol Summers. She went on to teach at the ACA from 1965-1980. Angliss also participated in art education for children, instructing at the Allied Arts Centre in Calgary from 1960-74. She is best known for her work in printing, particularly serigraphy and reflief printing. However, she also worked in watercolour and fibre art. Angliss was a Life Member of the Alberta Society of Artists, first attaining membership in 1976. She was also the recipient of the RCA Trust Fund in 1994. Her work has been exhibited and collected throughout Canada. Married to artist George Angliss, she has also exhibited with her husband and three daughters. Anlgiss and her husband left Alberta and returned to British Columbia in 1989 where they continued their practice.
- Media used
- Vancouver School of Art, 1942 - 1946 (under Fred Amess)
- Emma Lake - University of Saskatchewan Art School
- University of Calgary
- Alberta College of Art (under Deli Sacilotto)
- Alberta Society of Artists, 1976
- File & Archive locations
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- Alberta Culture and Community Spirit - Arts Branch
- Edmonton Art Gallery, AB - Library
- Vancouver Art Gallery, BC - Library
- Winnipeg Art Gallery, MA - Clara Lander Library
- Toronto Reference Library, ON
- Glenbow Archives, AB - Photographs Catalogue
- Calgary Public Library, AB - Arts Department
- Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon: Die bildenden Künstler aller Zeiten und Völker. Leipzig: G. K. Saur, 1992.
- "Art Works Ideal Gifts for Christmas Giving." Red Deer Advocate 15 Nov.1974.
- Baker, Suzanne Devonshire. Artists of Alberta. Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, 1980.
- Cochran, Bente Roed. "Kay M. Angliss." Printmaking in Alberta 1945-1985. Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, 1989: 52-3.
- Gina Angliss. "George Angliss: Sharp Clay Bluff and Sagebrush and Mullens." Arts Letter 17.6 (Nov./Dec. 1997).
- Glenbow Alberta Institute. Alberta Society of Artists, A Juried Exhibition. Calgary: 1977.
- MacDonald, Colin S.. The Dictionary of Canadian Artists. (Volumes 1-8 by Colin S. MacDonald, and volume 9 by Anne Newlands and Judith Parker) Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 2009
- Pierce, Gretchen. "Discards Make Intriguing Art Exhibition." Halifax Mail Star 10 Jun. 1970.
- Shell Canada Ltd. Shell Canada Collection: A Selection of Canadian Art Assembled by the Employees of Shell Canada Ltd. Calgary: Shell Canada Ltd, 1977.
- Townshend, Nancy. A History of Art in Alberta, 1905-1970. Calgary, Alberta: Bayeux, 2005.
- Tuele, Nicholas. British Columbia Women Artists, 1885-1985. Victoria: Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, 1985.