Artist Database >
Bio-bibliographic Database >
PAMIU, Siasi Atitu
PAMIU, Siasi Atitu
- Ivujivik, Quebec, ca 1896
- Povungnituk (?), Quebec, 1983
- Biography synopsis
- Inuit artist Siasi Atitu Pamiu (Ateitoq/Atiituk/Atiituq/Atituk/Attitu/Siassie) was born in Ivujivik, Northern Quebec. She moved to Povungnituk where she began printmaking in the early 1960's. Pamiu became one of the oldest artists to produce numerous stonecut prints and contributed to the annual collections between 1962 and 1972. Pamiu's monochromatic prints rely heavily on the contrast between positive and negative space, portraying daily events in Inuit culture through evolving narratives. "Story of a Murder" (1963) is a stonecut print that showcases Pamiu's penchant for somber themes. The mysterious figures, who are all laid out in a horizontal composition, evoke numerous narratives. Pamiu's work can be found in the collections of the National Museum of Man, the Avataq Cultural Insitute, as well as the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development in Ottawa. Her son, Adamie Suppaki Amamartua (1930- ), is a well known artist.
- Media used
- File & Archive locations
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- University of British Columbia - Fine Arts Library
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts / Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal, QC
- University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
- Arts and Culture of the North (Organization). Arts and Culture of the North, Volumes 17-26. Madison, Wisconsin: Arts and Culture of the North, 1984.
- Barz, Sandra. Canadian Inuit Print Artist/Printer Biographies. Arts & Culture of the North, 1990.
- Blodgett, Jean. Eskimo Narrative. Winnipeg: Winnipeg Art Gallery, 1979.
- Fédération des coopératives du Nouveau-Québec. Povungnituk. [Annual] Québec: Fédération des coopératives du Nouveau-Québec, (1962, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1972).
- Furneaux, Patrick & Rosshandler, Leo. Arts of the Eskimos: Prints. Montreal: Signum Press and Oxford University Press, 1974.
- Heller, Jules and Nancy. North American Women Artists of the Twentieth Century. New York: Garland, 1995.
- Myers, Marybelle Mitchell. Things Made by Inuit. Québec: Fédération des coopératives du Nouveau Québec, 1980.
- National Museum of Man. The Inuit Print. Ottawa: National Museum of Man, 1977-1982.