Artist Database >
Bio-bibliographic Database >
- Cascumpec, Prince Edward Island, 1887
- Prince Edward Island, 1986
- Biography synopsis
- Through her photographs of the events and people around her, Mildred Gamble documented Prince Edward Island life between 1905 and 1920. Gamble lived in PEI most of her life, except for the three years she studied nursing in Winnipeg, Manitoba from 1919 - 1922. In order to earn a living Gamble worked as a teacher and nurse. Her images were exhibited publicly only once during her life, in an exhibit in 1982 entitled "Rediscovery: Canadian Women Photographers 1841-1941." Gamble's photographs are held in the collection of the Public Archives and Records Office of Prince Edward Island, the National Gallery of Canada Archives, and Library and Archives Canada. There have been several exhibitions of her work in Prince Edward Island since her death.
- Media used
- File & Archive locations
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada, ON
- Public Archives and Records Office of Prince Edward Island
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- "Obituary for Mildred Gamble." Guardian (Charlottetown) 13 Mar. 1986: 24.
- "Photography Focus of Exhibition." Guardian (Charlottetown) 4 Jan. 2002: C1.
- Jones, Laura. Rediscovery: Canadian Women Photographers 1841-1941, May 13th-June 27th, 1983. London, Ontario: London Regional Art Gallery, 1983.
- Jones, Laura. "Millie Gamble, Prince Edward Island." Canadian Woman Studies / Les cahiers de la femme 2.3 (1980): 25-27.
- MacKay, Mary. "Black and White Images Colour P.E.I.'s Past: New Exhibition of Millie Gamble's Work Provides Pictures of Daily Life on the Island in the Early 1900s." Guardian (Charlottetown) 19 Sept. 1998: 3.
- Merritt, Susan E. Her Story: Women From Canada's Past. St. Catharines, Ontario: Vanwell Publishing, 1993.
- Mullally, Sasha. "Photography" First Hand: Arts, Crafts, and Culture Created by the PEI Women of the 20th Century. The Government of Prince Edward Island, 14 Jan. 2001