Artist Database >
Bio-bibliographic Database >
- Romania?, 1910?
- Windsor, Ontario, 2011
- Biography synopsis
- It is believed that Pat Sturn was born in Romania in 1910. She studied photography and operated her own studio in Europe before immigrating to Canada in the early 1930s, settling in Windsor, Ontario. In 1934 portrait photographer Will Browne hired her to work in his Windsor studio. In 1947 Sturn bought Browne's studio and operated it herself until she retired due to ill health in 1981. During this time she concentrated mainly on studio portraits. In 2007 the Windsor Public Library held an exhibit of many of the unclaimed portraits Sturn still had in her possession, with the agreement that those who recognized themselves or family members in the photographs could claim them free of charge. Those left over were donated to the Windsor Public Library. Sturn died in 2011 at the age of 100.
- Media used
- File & Archive locations
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- Gervais, Marty. "Even at 100, Photographer Sturn Fount of Lucid Wisdom." The Windsor Star 5 Oct. 2010: 5.
- Gervais, Marty. "Pat Sturn Cherishes Life's Gifts." The Windsor Star 18 Apr. 1997: 3.
- Gervais, Marty. "Reflections on the Brilliance of a Jewel." The Windsor Star 10 Oct. 2001: 3.
- Gervais, Marty. "See for Yourself." Windsor Review: A Journal of the Arts 39.1 (Spring 2006): 93-112.
- Gervais, Marty. "Sturn's Life One of Rebellious Joy." The Windsor Star 16 Mar. 2011: 5.