Artist Database >
Bio-bibliographic Database >
- Calgary, Alberta, 1910
- Biography synopsis
- Born in Calgary, Doris Jean McCarthy is well-known for her extensive watercolour painting practice. She first studied at the Ontario College of Art from 1926-1930 and later undertook post graduate studies at the Central School of Arts and Crafts in London, England. A dedicated art educator, she became a founding instructor with Arthur Lismer's Children's classes at the Art Gallery of Toronto (1930-35), taught at Moulton College part time and became a full time teacher at the Central Technical School of Toronto in 1933. In the summers she traveled throughout Canada and abroad painting landscapes. She was elected an Associate of the Royal Canadian Academy in 1951 and made a member of the Ontario Society of Artists in 1945, serving as president of the organization from 1964-67, and president of the Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour from 1953-55 and 1956-58. Her works are in the collections of the Art Gallery of Ontario, Art Gallery of Hamilton, London Public Library and Art Museum and many private collections. She was appointed a Member of the Order of Canada in 1986.
- Media used
- Ontario College of Art & Design (formerly Ontario School of Art), 1925 - 1930 (under Arthur Lismer, J.E.H. MacDonald, J.W. Beatty, Emanuel Hahn)
- Royal Canadian Academy of Arts, First Joined 1951
- Ontario Society of Artists, First Joined 1945 - President (1964-67)
- Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour, First Joined 1952 - President (1953-8)
- File & Archive locations
- Glenbow Archives, AB - Finding Aids / Scanned Documents
- Edmonton Art Gallery, AB - Library
- Artexte Information Centre, QC - Documentation Centre
- Art Gallery of Ontario - Edward P. Taylor Research Library and Archives
- Hamilton Public Library, ON - Local History and Archives Department
- London Public Library, ON
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts / Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal, QC
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- University of British Columbia - Fine Arts Library
- University of Calgary Library, AB
- Vancouver Art Gallery, BC - Library
- Winnipeg Art Gallery, MA - Clara Lander Library
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- Canadian Museum of Civilization Archives, QC
- Hinton Municipal Library & Archives, AB
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada, ON
- Museum of Modern Art, NY
- Harvard University, MA - Schlesinger Library
- Doris McCarthy: Heart of a Painter. Calgary: Lifestyle Home Video, 1986.
- "An Artist Builds Herself a House." Globe and Mail (Toronto) 23 Feb. 1966.
- "Art and Artists: New Liturgical Banner at St. Aidans." Globe and Mail (Toronto) 12 Oct. 1957.
- "Canadians Depict A Timeless Story." Globe and Mail (Toronto) 21 Dec. 1963.
- "Doris McCarthy Show." Toronto Telegram 28 Feb. 1942.
- "Doris McCarthy." Globe and Mail (Toronto) 21 Mar. 1970.
- "Modern Canadian Art Seen at OAC." Mercury (Guelph) 1 Oct. 1952.
- "Painted Ships on Painted Oceans." Mayfair (Apr. 1945).
- Bradfield, Helen Pepall. Art Gallery of Ontario: The Canadian Collection. Toronto: McGraw-Hill, 1970.
- Canadian Group of Painters. Canadian Group of Painters, Exhibition 1955-1956. Montreal: 1956.
- Kelly, Michael. Doris McCarthy: Past and Present. North Bay: W.K.P. Kennedy Gallery, 1996.
- MacDonald, Ann, ed. Doris McCarthy: Everything Which is Yes. Toronto: Doris McCarthy Gallery, University of Toronto at Scarborough, 2004.
- MacDonald, Colin S.. The Dictionary of Canadian Artists. (Volumes 1-8 by Colin S. MacDonald, and volume 9 by Anne Newlands and Judith Parker) Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 2009
- MacInnes Teresa. Other Side of the Picture Montreal: National Film Board, 2008.
- Moore, William. Doris McCarthy: Feast of Incarnation/ Festin de l'incarnation. Stratford: The Gallery, 1991.
- Moore, William and Stuart Reid. Celebrating Life: The Art of Doris McCarthy. Kleinburg: McMichael Canadian Art Collection, 1999.
- National Council of Women of Canada. Canadian Women Artists' Exhibition, Sponsored by Local Council of Women of Kitchener. Kitchener: Canadian Arts Council and Department of External Affairs, 1947.
- National Council of Women of Canada. Canadian Women Artists, Exhibition 1982. New York: Riverside Museum, 1982.
- National Council of Women of Canada. Femmes peintres canadiennes: Expositions présentée par le conseil national des femmes canadiennes. 1947.
- Ontario Society of Artists. Catalogue of the Ninety-Seventh Annual Exhibition of Painting and Sculpture of the Ontario Society of Artists, 1969. London, Ontario: Unknown, 1969.
- Pageot, Edith-Anne. "Ambiguités de la réception critique de l'exposition 'Canadian Women Artists', Riverside Museum, New York, 1947." RACAR 27.1-2 (2000): 123-34.
- Royal Canadian Academy. Royal Canadian Academy 87th Annual Exhibition 1966. Toronto: 1966.
- Royal Canadian Academy. Royal Canadian Academy 88th Annual Exhibition 1967. Montreal: 1967.
- Scott, John. "Glam North: Doris McCarthy's Northern Landscapes." BorderCrossings 23.3 (Aug. 2004): 36-40.
- Singh, Camilla. "Constructive Folly: Doris McCarthy Gallery, Scarborough." Canadian Art 22.1 (Spring 2005): 89-90.
- Tippett, Maria. By a Lady. Toronto: Viking, 1992.
- Webb, Marshall. "Doris McCarthy: A Pioneering Spirit." Arts West 5.7 (Nov. 1980): 14.
- Wells Gallery. Exhibition of Paintings of the Arctic and Newfoundland by Doris McCarthy. Ottawa: Wells Gallery, 1977.
- McCarthy, Doris. Doris McCarthy [electronic resource]: A Window into the World of a Distinguished Canadian Artist. 2001.
- McCarthy, Doris. Doris McCarthy: Ninety Years Wise. Toronto: Second Story Press, 2004.
- McCarthy, Doris. Doris McCarthy: The View from Here. Mississauga: Art Gallery of Mississauga, 1999.
- McCarthy, Doris. "County Mayo." Canadian Art 16.3 (Fall 1999): 52-5.