Artist Database >
Bio-bibliographic Database >
CRAWFORD, Julia Tilley
CRAWFORD, Julia Tilley
- Kingston, New Brunswick, 1896
- Saint John, New Brunswick, 1968
- Biography synopsis
- Julia Crawford began her studies in art at the age of 29 when she entered the Pratt Institute of New York. She graduated in 1928, and would later pursue summer classes at both the Cape School of Art in Provincetown, as well as the Berkshire Summer School of Art. Crawford employed different techniques in her work, painting in realistic, abstract, expressionist and non-objective styles. She also used varying media, including oil, watercolour, gouache, pastels, charcoal, and crayon. Her work focuses on the natural world, and she is best known for her landscapes, portraits and floral studies. She held solo shows throughout New Brunswick, and one in Maine. She also participated in the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts Spring Exhibitions from 1936 until 1943. Crawford taught at the Saint John Vocational school from 1928 to 1944, and later at the Netherwood School of New Brunswick from 1944 to 1957.
- Media used
- Pratt Institute of New York, ? - 1928
- Cape School of Art, Provincetown
- Berkshire Summer School of Art
- File & Archive locations
- Art Gallery of Ontario - Edward P. Taylor Research Library and Archives
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- Winnipeg Art Gallery, MA - Clara Lander Library
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- Sault Ste Marie Public Library, ON
- New Brunswick Museum Archives and Research Library
- Paintings and drawings from the Estate of the late Julia Crawford. Saint John, New Brunswick: Morrison Art Gallery, 1972.
- Ayre, Robert. "Art News and Reviews: Canada's Art Exhibition At the World's Fair 'Credit to the Dominion'." Standard (Montreal) 8 May 1939: M7.
- Frye, Northrop. "Water Colour Annual." Canadian Art 1.5 (12 Jun. 1956): 188.
- Hashey, Mary W., ed. Maritime Artists Vol. 1. Fredericton: Maritime Art Association, 1967.
- Loomer, L.S. "Painting in Saint John." Atlantic Advocate 48.7 (Mar. 1958): 47, 49, 51-56.
- MacDonald, Colin S.. The Dictionary of Canadian Artists. (Volumes 1-8 by Colin S. MacDonald, and volume 9 by Anne Newlands and Judith Parker) Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 2009
- Maritime Art Association. Paintings by Artists of the Maritimes: Seventh Annual Exhibition. Halifax: Maritime Art Association, 1942.
- Tippett, Maria. By a Lady. Toronto: Viking, 1992.
- Crawford, Julia. Catalogue of Paintings. Saint John, New Brunswick: New Brunswick Museum, 1957.
Full text pdfs of exhibition reviews
- Art Association of Montreal Annual Spring Exhibition: (Montreal, March 19, 1936) "Spring Exhibition on Generous Scale. Show at Art Gallery Opened Last Night Contains 621 Items." Gazette (Montreal) March 20, 1936. p.2. Full-text pdf
- Art Association of Montreal Annual Spring Exhibition: (Montreal, March 19, 1936) "Annual Spring Exhibition at Art Association." Montreal Star March 20, 1936. p.8. Full-text pdf
- Art Association of Montreal Annual Spring Exhibition: (Montreal, March 19, 1936) Reynald. "Les aquarelles d'A.C. Leighton. SuprÍme hommage au Salon." La Presse April 04, 1936. p.45. Full-text pdf