Sources historiques >
Base de données bio-bibliographiques historiques sur les artistes canadiennes >
Base de données d'artistes
- Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, 1898
- , 1985
- Notice biographique
- Lynn (Lillian) Sissons was born in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba in 1898. Sissons' earliest engagement with art was as a china painter in her adolescence. She later studied art intermittently from 1913 to 1927 at the Winnipeg School of Art with Frank Johnston, Joe Plaskett, L.L. Fitzgerald, W.J. Phillips and George Swinton. In 1932 Sissons showed with the Art Association of Montreal; in 1943 a solo show was held in Winnipeg (art gallery unknown) and in 1963 another solo show at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. Sissons is known for the historic accuracy of her work and was commissioned for the frontispiece to "The Tread of the Pioneer" by J.H. Metcalfe. Her preferred media was watercolour. In 1980 the Royal Canadian Academy gave Sissons an Award of Merit for outstanding contributions. Sissons' work was included in the 1984 exhibition "The Winnipeg School of Art: The Early Years" at the University of Manitoba. She passed away in 1985.
- China painting
- Egg Tempera
- Winnipeg School of Art, 1913 - 1927 (Sous la direction de Frank Johnston, Joe Plaskett, L.L. Fitzgerald, W.J. Phillips and George Swinton)
- Private study (Sous la direction de Rose West Hassard)
- Manitoba Society of Artists, Founder
- Winnipeg Sketch Club, President 1925-26
- Lieux de conservation des dossiers et archives
- University of British Columbia - Fine Arts Library
- Winnipeg Art Gallery, MA - Clara Lander Library
- National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives
- Art Gallery of Ontario - Edward P. Taylor Research Library and Archives
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts / Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal, QC
- Toronto Reference Library, ON
- Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QC
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada, ON
Documents sur l'artiste
- "4 Artists Put Work on Display." Winnipeg Tribune 16 Apr. 1945.
- "Award to Sissons" Winnipeg Free Press 11 Feb. 1980.
- "CAIN No. 228593." Winnipeg Sketch Club Fonds Winnipeg: Winnipeg Art Gallery Archives, 1916-1988.
- "Lynn Sissons with The River in Spring (photo caption)." Winnipeg Tribune 21 Apr. 1945.
- "Three Winnipeg Artists Show in First Contemporary Gallery." Winnipeg Tribune 15 Nov. 1951.
- American Federation of Arts. Who's Who in American Art. New York: R.R. Bowker, 1976.
- Baker, Marilyn. The Winnipeg School of Art: The Early Years. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1984.
- Eckhardt, Ferdinand. Lynn Sissons. Winnipeg: Winnipeg Art Gallery, 1963.
- F.W.. "Sketch Club Notes." Winnipeg Free Press 23 Dec. 1944.
- Gibbons, Lillian. "Members of Sketch Club Hold 35th Annual Exhibit." Winnipeg Tribune 1 Nov. 1951.
- MacDonald, Colin S.. The Dictionary of Canadian Artists. (Volumes 1-8 by Colin S. MacDonald, and volume 9 by Anne Newlands and Judith Parker) Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 2009
- Majzels, Claudine. "Constructing the Woman Artist: Marie Hewson Guest in Winnipeg." Manitoba History 29 (Spring 1995).
- Sanders, Noreen. "Manitoba Women's History: On Artists Lynn Sissons, Marie Guest, Pauline Boutal." The Eighth Annual Manitoba History Conference, Celebrating Manitoba's 125th Anniversary as a Province. Winnipeg: Manitoba Historical Society, 1995.
- W.E.I.. "Lynn Sissons' Show." Winnipeg Free Press 20 Nov. 1943.
- Winnipeg Sketch Club. "Winnipeg Sketch Club: History." http://wpgsketch.tripod.com/historical.html ?.
Texte intégral de compte rendu (pdf).
- Art Association of Montreal Annual Spring Exhibition: (Montreal, mars 17, 1932) "Art Association Has Forty-Ninth Annual Spring Exhibition." Montreal Star mars 18, 1932. p.7. Comptes rendus intégraux
- Art Association of Montreal Annual Spring Exhibition: (Montreal, mars 17, 1932) "Art Association's Spring Exhibition Is 49th of Series. Some Five Hundred Works Greet Invited Guests at Private View." Gazette (Montreal) mars 18, 1932. p.6. Comptes rendus intégraux